deltaTest v2.0.0: Active Endeavor

Yesterday EDF released deltaTest v2.0.0, code-named Active Endeavor.

This is a major refactor of deltaTest v1.0.1. Key changes:

  • deltaTest no longer interacts with the Windows Registry, except through System Environment Variables. Local config settings are persisted to a file.
  • Every script is fully documented, including the test templates.
  • The repository is reorganized to surface all important controls.
  • All user interfaces refactored for better usability.
  • All code synced with online documentation.

We went through our code with a fine-toothed comb and rationalized it to upgrade gracefully into the future. The changes we made went deep, such that your existing test scripts will not run until you upgrade them for deltaTest v2.0.0!

Upgrading your tests is easy: just delete top part that loads the deltaTest module and replace it with this header, As long as your tests remain reasonably straightforward, this highly structured header should enable us to automate updates to your test repos as well as your deltaTest installation, should it become necessary for future version upgrades.

####################################################################
#
# DELTATEST v2.0.0
#
# Test Script
#
# Place this header at the top of every test to support automated
# upgrades to your test archive.
#
# Initialize deltaTest.
  Invoke-Expression "$env:deltaTestLocal\init.ps1"
# 
####################################################################

Installation & Upgrade

The source for this release is at tag v2.0.0. For new installations, simply follow these instructions to get started.

To upgrade from any lower version, follow these steps:

  • Open a Git BASH prompt from your shared deltaTest repo clone.
  • Run command git checkout v2.0.0
  • Refactor your existing tests to match the tests in the STARTER TEST REPO.

Release Contents

  • Changed sample test directory name.
  • Moved documentation online.
  • Reorganized repository files.
  • Refactored installer.
  • Eliminated most references to Global variable scope.
  • Completed module manifest.
  • Replaced all config scripts with PSD1 data files.
  • Added an initialization script to local config.
  • Replaced Registry entries with a local directory & config file.
  • Refactored system environment variables to %deltaTestLocal% and %deltaTestShared%.
  • Replaced in-module SqlServer module load with manifest dependency.
  • Added standard documentation headers to all internal scripts.
  • Added standard header to sample tests to support automated version update.
  • Abstracted local config changes from +INSTALL to +LOCAL script.
  • Rationalized UI colors & added to shared config.
  • Improved output formatting for readability.
  • Added +UNINSTALL script.
  • LOTS of other stuff, mostly under the hood. This was a line-by-line refactor.

Leave a Reply